Any state agency may enter into an energy performance-based contract with an energy performance contractor to significantly reduce energy costs of a state facility through one or more energy conservation or operational efficiency measures.
An Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) is an agreement between a contractor, most often an energy services company, or ESCO, and a customer to perform as a condition of payment. Performance in this context means meeting a guaranteed level of energy savings.
Click HERE for detailed overview
ESCOs are essentially design-build general contractors combined with a diagnostic front end and a guaranteed-savings back end. They should provide, by some combination of in-house staff and subcontracts, all the labor, materials, equipment, and subcontractor management. If they do that well, they need little supervision. That being said, DMME can serve as an experienced and trusted third-party advisor to state agencies and local governments considering entering into an EPC.
Energy Performance Contracting (EPC) is primarily equipment replacement to provide energy savings and installation of building control systems to control energy consumption, which are defined as maintenance projects. They are impacted by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. State agencies shall comply with the Construction and Professional Services Manual (CPSM) for all design and construction work under this contract. Other public bodies must comply with their local building codes.
Click here for a current list of Energy Services Companies, all of which are pre-approved to serve all public bodies in Virginia that use the state performance contract.
Case Studies and Success Stories:
ESPC Forms and Documents
- Preformance Contracting Fact Sheet
- EPC Timeline Instructions
- Attachment A - ESCO Performance detail form
- Attachment B - ESCO Energy Conservation Measure Detail Form
- ESCO POC list
- BOE Kickoff Meeting Invitation
- BOE Kickoff Meeting Agenda
- BOE Kickoff Meeting Sign-In Sheet
- RFP for BOE Form
- ESCO Scoring Matrix
- Selection criteria and scoring
- Follow up questions
- Attachment C - Facility Listing Spreadhseet
- MOU Template
- CO9-DB EPC Contract
- CO7-DB General Conditions for DB Contract
- Supplemental General Conditions for DGS
- Energy special terms and conditions
- TRS Energy Financing Description
- TRS Energy Financing Request Certificate
- TRS Energy Acceptance Certificate
- SAMPLE EPC Construction Contract for Public Bodies
- BOE Facility Info
- RFQ REQUEST
- ESPC RFQ Evaluation Matrix
- CO-10 DGS Standard Performance Bond
- CO-10.1 DGS Standar Labor Material Payment Bond
For questions or to learn more, please contact us »